Update: My husband has gone into complete overload-mode (even more so then usual) and is going nuts job hunting and getting job agencies to help him. This morning, we already had several call-backs. He already had an interview this morning, too. It didn't pan out, but the boss was very considerate of our situation and is asking his sister companies if any of them can help with the contract. If my husband gets the contract before Sunday, I can stay. Regardless, one way or another we're just hoping he gets a job quickly, even if I still have to go back to America. Ideally in that case, I'd only be there for a couple weeks, which is certainly liveable. Due to the kindness of our dear friends and help from all of you, I was able to get the ticket I needed back to America so I don't have to worry about being detained. However, if we don't get the contract before I leave, we still have to afford a plane ticket back home for me. Unfortunately this is travel high season, and my residency papers are going to be massively expensive, so any help we could continue to get towards that plane ticket back home/towards papers goes a long, long, long way. I'll keep you all updated as I know more. We made arrangements for where I'll stay, too, so that's no longer a worry. Please pray this all pans out and that Martijn gets the job within the next few days, and if not, very soon after so I can come right back home to stay. My deepest gratitude is with all of you for being so wonderfully encouraging and supportive./update
Hey everyone, I hope all is well with all of you. I'm afraid I have bad news.
I had an appointment with the police today since there was a misunderstanding when I came into the country: some procedures say you have to register with them, and others don't. Long story short, we had an appointment to register with them today and a routine procedure quickly became a rather surreal moment, being told I was illegal and had to leave immediately. When we asked how this was possible, we were informed that when I registered at the city hall (the procedure you need to follow if you're going to stay, mandatory if/when my husband got the contract we needed), it unknowingly terminated my tourist visa. Since my husband doesn't have the contract yet, that officially makes me illegal. City hall had no obligation to inform us of this, and didn't.
Normal procedure says I have to leave the country within 24 hours. However, the officer was kind given our situation, realizing it was an honest mistake, and is letting me go home. I have a week to leave. Within a week, I have to leave back to America. I have no idea where I'll go yet, and I don't have money for a ticket. But, if I don't buy a ticket and leave within a week, I face Belgium all over again and risk marks in my passport that would prevent me from returning home. If I leave within a week, it's no harm no foul and I have to wait things out in America for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, I can return home. If my husband doesn't have a contract then, I can stay for 3 months before returning to America for 3+ months. If Martijn gets a contract while I'm in America, I can return immediately regardless of the 6 weeks.
If there's ANY way any of you can help me with the ticket, I'll find a way to work it off if necessary, I promise. This is devestating news, but now we know, and we're trying to make the best of it and go about things the right way.
Please pray for us, and help us if you can. My Paypal is email@example.com if you can help that way. Just please, pray for us. This has all been so difficult and I'm just not sure what else to say at this point.